Scrambled tofu is a vegan favorite. The initial smell of fresh tofu can be slightly reminiscent of eggs, but this changes as you cook it. When done, scrambled tofu looks like scrambled eggs in terms of texture, but the same can't be said for the taste or color. Adding black salt will make them taste more egg-like, and turmeric can give the tofu scramble the right color.
Most tofu recipes will require you to press the tofu, in order for it to absorb other flavors. This recipe, however, does not require pressed tofu: any excess water cooks off in the first couple of minutes of frying.
Tips on how to make Tofu Scramble your go-to vegan breakfast
- If you miss the taste of real eggs, use black salt (kala namak) instead of regular salt.
- Nutritional yeast gives the tofu scramble a lovely umami flavor, but skip it if you prefer the taste of plain tofu.
- This vegan tofu scramble recipe has endless variations. Try different vegetables every time. Canned peas and red pepper, button mushrooms with eggplant and soy, or asparagus with zuchinni could be lovely alternatives. Gain extra points from family by topping the scrambled tofu with vegan cheese!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat the scrambled tofu in the microwave heat (1-1.5 min) or frying pan (3 min).
- Tofu scramble can be frozen, too. Just make sure to put it in a freezer friendly food-grade plastic container or freezer bag.
Spring Tofu Scramble: The Perfect Vegan Breakfast
1 block (12 oz) firm tofu, pressed or unpressed
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup canned sweet corn, drained
1 cup sugar snap (mange tout peas)
1/2 cup baby plum tomatoes, halved
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bunch of fresh parsley, chives, or coriander, chopped
Mix all the spices and nutritional yeast together in a small bowl.
Crumble the tofu with your fingers in a separate dish.
Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
Add the onion and garlic, and fry for 2-3 min until lightly golden and softened.
Add the sugar snap and baby tomatoes, and fry another 2 min.
Add the crumbled tofu, sweet corn, and spice mix. Heat through, stirring, for another 3 min.
Divide between two plates and top with fresh herbs. Serve hot with buttered toast or garlic bread.
Enjoy the best tofu scramble ever!