With our simple, five-ingredient recipe, you’ll be making vegan ice cream at home in no time! Silken tofu gives this chilled treat a creamy consistency without the need for any dairy.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for dairy-free chocolate ice cream?! Vegans deserve to enjoy this popular treat on a hot summer's day, too.
We aren't super impressed by many of the mass-produced vegan options, which can have a strange texture and taste compared to the classic dairy versions. That's why we developed this recipe for vegan homemade ice cream using silken tofu to create a perfect and fluffy, creamy texture.
It doesn't require any extra sweetener because of the semi-sweet chocolate chips, making this ice cream much healthier than the original. Follow our simple steps below to make this delicious and nutritious dessert at home.
How To Make Vegan Tofu Ice Cream
- 12 oz of dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz of silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 c oat milk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice)
- Generous pinch of salt, to taste
Melting the vegan chocolate
- Place the vegan chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and cook for 30 sec on high power.
- Remove the chocolate bowl from the microwave, and stir.
- Place the bowl back into the microwave. Cook for another 30 sec on high power.
- Remove your bowl again, and stir the chocolate chips.
- Keep microwaving your chocolate chips on high power in 10-sec increments. Stir after each increment.
- Keep cooking until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted. Cool for 5 min.
Constructing your ice cream
- Put the silken tofu in a blender and process until very smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend until well combined. Stop and wipe down the sides of the blender with a spatula, as needed.
- Add the oat milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Remove from the blender. Cover the chocolate mixture and let it chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hr.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge, and pour it into an ice cream maker. Churn your ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Enjoy your dairy-free ice cream immediately as a soft-serve texture. For hard ice cream, pack it into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer until it becomes solid.
Tofu Ice Cream Recipe FAQ
Do I have to use silken tofu to make vegan ice cream?
There is no way around it - silken tofu is the only choice to make dairy-free ice cream.
Silken tofu is super soft and creamy, which gives this recipe the perfect texture.
The medium, firm, and extra-firm tofu are pressed blocks of soybean curds that are too solid for ice cream. These blocks are better suited for pan-frying, BBQing, and baking until extra crispy. You can quickly learn how to press tofu before frying for the best results.
What flavor options can I add to this vegan chocolate ice cream recipe?
There are endless options for ice cream flavors. Add in peanut butter, chopped strawberries, raisins, or cookie crumbs.
We sweetened this ice cream with chocolate chips. If you omit the chocolate, be sure to add in some sweetener like pure maple syrup, stevia, or honey.
Is tofu-based ice cream healthy?
In our tofu ice cream, nutrition content is much, much better than traditional ice cream recipes. This recipe contains no high-fat creams, and it is relatively low in sugar, with the only sweetness coming from the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Silken tofu contains a lot of water, which makes it low in calories. Tofu also has a little bit of healthy vegan protein and essential minerals, like calcium.
Do I need an ice cream maker?
We used an ice cream maker, but you can skip the maker and still enjoy it straight out of the fridge as a chilled vegan chocolate mousse!
Or, freeze the mixture, let it partly defrost, and stir before serving. However, the texture won't be as creamy as when using an ice cream maker.
Final Notes On Our Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
This tofu ice cream is so much healthier than your average dessert and is safe for anyone to eat that's following a vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, or dairy-free diet.
You can play around to try different flavors and add some toppings like vegan chocolate sauce, caramel, or sprinkles. Enjoy a scoop on your favorite pie, cake, or by itself!
Will you be making tofu ice cream at home? Bookmark this recipe!