If you’re craving a decadent, deep-fried, southern-style sandwich without the chicken, then we’ve got the perfect vegan sandwich recipes for you!
Our crispy vegan sandwich has all the taste, flavor, and texture of your traditional meat sandwich, but this one has zero chicken. That’s right; these are non-meat sandwiches that taste just like fried chicken.
You’ll need extra-firm tofu and a tofu press for this easy vegan lunch. Top it off with our spicy buffalo slaw, and you’ve got yourself a veggie sandwich feast!
Continue reading to learn how to make our crispy vegan ‘chicken’ sandwich!
How to make a crispy ‘chicken’ vegan sandwich
Makes 4 crispy vegan fried tofu sandwiches
Ingredients for chicken fried tofu marinade
- 2 large packets of extra firm tofu*
- 1 c of vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
*For the best texture and taste, we suggest freezing your blocks of tofu, then thawing them. This adds to the chewiness of your veg sandwiches. Once thawed, you’ll then need to press and drain your tofu before marinating.
Ingredients for the batter
- ¾ c of unsweetened soy milk
- 2 Tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- ½ tsp of salt
Ingredients for the flour coating
- 1 c of all-purpose flour
- ¼ c of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- ¾ tsp of salt
Ingredients for the spicy buffalo slaw
- 3 c of shredded cabbage
- 1/2 c of sliced red onions
- ¼ cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tbsp of hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
You’ll also need oil for frying your crispy tofu ‘chicken’ and vegetarian bread rolls to complete your vegan and vegetarian lunch sandwich.
Directions for chicken fried tofu
- For the best ‘chicken’ vegan sandwich fillings, begin with freezing your tofu, and thaw just before using.
- Once the tofu has thoroughly defrosted, press and drain the excess liquid from each block. Press your tofu blocks using a tofu press or by wrapping the blocks in paper towels and placing a heavy object on top. Leave for 20 min.
- While the tofu is draining, prepare your marinade for the meatless sandwiches.
- Pour vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and all your spices into a large bowl and whisk them together.
- Once your tofu has pressed and drained, slice each block into half, so you have 4 large blocks of tofu to marinade. Place each block into a shallow bowl, and cover liberally in your marinade.
- Cover the bowls and leave your vegan sandwich fillings to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 h.
- In a separate bowl, mix cabbage, onions, mayo, garlic, hot sauce, salt, and pepper for your buffalo slaw mix. Leave it covered in the refrigerator.
- Prepare your batter for the crispy coating by whisking all the batter ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for your flour coating mixture.
- Heat up a few tablespoons of frying oil in the bottom of your skillet over medium heat.
- While the oil is preheating, cover each piece of tofu in the flour coating, then dip it into the batter. Do this twice for each piece of tofu.
- With your oil heated, you can now add your coated tofu to the bottom of the skillet. Give each piece plenty of room, as you don’t want them touching. You can cook each piece individually if that’s easier.
- Fry each piece of coated tofu for 5 min on each side. If you’re after an extra crispy finish, then keep each piece in the oil for longer than this.
- When you’re happy with the crispiness, place the deep-fried tofu on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Toast your bread rolls, add your crispy fried tofu, layer on your slaw, and add any extra sauces or fillings to complete your vegan sandwich!
Vegan sandwich FAQ
Be prepared for your taste buds to explode with this saucy vegan tofu sandwich! The buffalo sauce adds a depth of flavor that pairs perfectly with the crispiness of the fried tofu. We’re sure someone will have a question or two, so we have provided a list of answers to our most frequently asked questions!
What tofu is best for vegan sandwich recipes?
For the best vegetarian lunch sandwiches, we recommend using only extra-firm tofu. This offers you a very similar texture to meat compared to other types of tofu, such as soft or silken tofu. As we are essentially deep-frying our tofu, we also need it to hold its shape well under this high heat.
You can toughen up your tofu and give it an even chewier, chicken-like texture by freezing it, then thawing it (as we suggest in the recipe!)
Can I skip the pressing step?
All tofu is packaged with excess liquid to keep it from drying out. The extra water content will cause your tofu to be bland because it can’t soak up the flavors of your marinade unless it is pressed and drained.
Don’t skip this step! If you don’t own a tofu press, use whatever you have on hand to drain the extra liquid. Wrap your tofu in paper towels and hand press it between a chopping board and a heavy plate!
Are vegan sandwiches dairy-free as well as meat-free?
Despite the fact we are preparing a thick batter for our meat-free chicken, this recipe is entirely dairy-free and suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Instead of using milk to mix up the batter, we use a dairy-free milk alternative instead. We suggest soy milk, but you can also try any similar products, such as almond milk. Just make sure they are unsweetened.
How can I make my vegan sandwich extra crispy?
If you love a good crispy coating (and who doesn’t?), there are a few tips and tricks you can use to create extra crispy tofu.
Cornstarch really adds to the crispiness, so feel free to add more of this to the flour coating as you prepare your delicious vegan sandwiches. You can also dip your pieces of tofu into the batter and flour coating several times over.
Fry your coated tofu for longer in the oil too. Be sure you’re continually turning it to give the outer layer an even crispy finish throughout the frying process.
What can I serve with my crispy chickenless tofu sandwiches?
Opt to serve your vegan sandwiches on their own or prepare a few side dishes to accompany your crispy fried tofu dish.
If you’re preparing vegan sandwich recipes for dinner, then you could also fry up a few french fries or oven bake some crispy wedges. If you’re after lighter, easy vegan lunch ideas, add a leafy green side salad to freshen up the meal!
It’s your sandwich, so feel free to add as many extra toppings to the bun as you like, too. You could fry a few crispy onion rings in the same batter and flour coating or melt some vegan cheese onto the top of the tofu!
That’s it for our vegan sandwich recipes!
Satisfy everyone’s taste buds with this versatile recipe. Our vegan chicken sandwich with crispy fried tofu and buffalo slaw is a fantastic meat-free and dairy-free lunch or dinner. Add a fried egg and turn this into a vegan breakfast sandwich! Don’t be afraid to get creative with this incredible vegan sandwich.
Super-crispy and super-delicious, will you be preparing our vegetarian sandwich recipes? Why not bookmark our guide for later?