Kickstart your day with a fresh, healthy, vegan tofu smoothie!
Our strawberry and banana combo uses freshly sliced fruit blended with soft silken tofu for a smooth, revitalizing breakfast smoothie. This vegan strawberry banana smoothie is packed full of goodness, and it's a guaranteed way to fill you with vitamins and energy until lunchtime.
Ready your tofu press, prepare your fruit, and get ready for this morning blend!
How to make tofu smoothie
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 packet of silken tofu
- 2 sliced bananas
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of ice cubes
- Gather the ingredients for your non-dairy fruit smoothie, plug in your food blender, and prepare your tofu press.
- Take half a block of silken tofu from its packet and place it into the tofu press. Use the press to squeeze out any excess liquid from the tofu. Place the pressed tofu into the food blender.
- Chop and slice your bananas and strawberries into small chunks, then place the fruit into the food blender alongside the silken tofu. (You can also substitute the ice cubes by using frozen fruit.)
- Give the tofu and fruit a good blend before pouring 1 cup of soy milk into the mixture. Blend all of the ingredients until you have a smooth, soy smoothie.
- Add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and 1/2 a cup of ice cubes to the mixture. Blend everything together again until you have a silky texture all the way through.
- Pour your tofu smoothie into glasses and enjoy as a healthy, quick, yet energizing breakfast!
Tofu smoothie tips and FAQs
Vegan protein fruit smoothie recipes are easy to put together for breakfast but packed full of goodness that will see you through the morning.
If you've never used tofu in smoothies before, though, you might want to read our quick smoothie making tips and FAQs to get you started!
Is tofu good in smoothies?
A vegan strawberry smoothie or vegan banana smoothie is never complete without a healthy serving of tofu! First-time tofu-smoothie-makers are often sceptical if they've never used tofu before.
We can assure you, though, that there's nothing to fear! Tofu is a fantastic substitute for traditional dairy products, particularly when combined with non-dairy soy milk as well (note: tofu is also produced from soy milk. You can also mix things up by replacing your soy milk smoothie with almond or coconut milk).
Tofu is packed with protein and quickly takes on the taste of the ingredients around it, especially when thoroughly blended together with fruit for a delicious tofu protein smoothie. It's also super creamy and silky smooth, but make sure that you are using silken tofu, rather than firm or extra firm tofu.
Can you eat tofu raw?
Yes! You don't even need to cook your tofu in advance. You simply take it straight out of the packet, give it a good pressing, and blend it up in the food processor with your other smoothie ingredients.
Tofu is perfectly safe to eat raw, although you must drain off the excess liquid from the block before you blend it. Tofu is rather liquidy, and the best way to remove this moisture is by using a tofu press. If you don't have one, you can push down on the tofu block using a chopping board.
If you forget to remove the excess liquid, you'll have a watery and rather bland tasting smoothie, unfortunately.
Are tofu smoothies good for me?
Tofu smoothies are wonderfully low in calories, contain zero dairy products, and are jam-packed with nutrients. Tofu has a huge protein content, so for anyone on a vegan diet, it's a great way to replace the protein you would otherwise get from meats. Tofu is also low in fat and low in carbohydrates. Mixed with fruit, tofu smoothies also provide plenty of your essential vitamins.
Yes, our recipe does use maple syrup, but you can remove this if you are looking for a low sugar version of the smoothie.
We aren't going to lie, though; they are quite addictive, especially when you start experimenting with different combinations of fruits (you can even add vegetables too, for a super-smoothie!).
Tofu smoothie: a healthy way to start the day!
Vegan fruit smoothies are a healthy way to start any day! We love the delicious, smooth combination of silken soft tofu mixed with freshly sliced bananas and strawberries, but there are so many more soy milk smoothies and tofu recipes that you can put together at home!
You can try watermelon, apples, avocados, carrots, kale, and countless other fruit and veg combos. Tofu shakes are one of the best ways to kickstart your immune system, revitalize your body, and keep to a vegan diet! Why not add a fresh tofu smoothie to your breakfast menu?